Sunday, September 06, 2009

Lancaster Bomber Flypast at Lord's Cricket Ground during 2nd ODI, 6.9.09

A veteran Lancaster Bomber pilot, Group Captain Bill Farquson, was one of Aggers' TMS guests in the innings' interval, during the 2nd ODI at Lord's between England and Australia.

From cricinfo:

"The fly past from a Lancaster Bomber that brought the Lord's crowd to their feet as it flew in over the Nursery Ground, then turned and made a return pass. The event was to commemorate 65 years since Lord's was handed back after being used as a RAF receiving base in World War Two".

RAF AIR CREW AT LORDS:

On the Lord's Pavilion west side, back, is a memorial seat in the south wall with a bronze plaque above.

MANY ENTERING THE RAF TROUGH/
GATE NO.1 AIR CREW RECEPTION AREA
AT LORDS DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR
GAVE THEIR LIVES. OUR ENJOYMENT OF
CRICKET REFLECTS THEIR SACRIFICES.



9.9.09 postscript from TMS blog:

Group Captain Bill Farquharson DFC who joined us in the commentary box to tell the amazing story of life as a bomber pilot. More than 55,000 people died in Bomber Command, three out of every five who joined, and Farquharson admitted that he was extremly frightened all of the time.

He told us that just before one mission a colleague asked him "'If you don't come back, can I have your hat?' You see, I had just got myself a new service hat. Well in fact I was reported missing and when I got back my hat was gone. However, it was returned to me in the end."

Farquharson also told us about a very lucky escape. He said: "I went on one mission and we were hit by flak. I knew we had been hit but I hoped not too badly. When I got back and pulled my parachute from under me I noticed a large lump of flak stuck inside it. If it had gone any further, it would have been the end of my matrimonial prospects!"

1 comment:

John Poole said...

Interesting how your postings bring back recollections of my various past lives.

I visited Lords once (not for a game, just to see it), and I loved the whole area of St John's Wood and all the quaint little shops and restaurants.

Also, I had a cousin (American), much older than me and now about ten years deceased, who flew on RAF bombers in WWII, barely made it home alive on many missions, but somehow managed to survive it all. It took him a long time to recover (psychologically) after the war and re-adjust to civilian life.